Friday, October 9, 2009

Moloka'i - Alan Brennert

This is one of the best books that I have read in a while. I had previously read Brennert's other (and later) book, Honolulu, which I enjoyed so I was excited about this one. Moloka'i was undeniably better.
This novel is about a young Hawaiian girl who gets Hansen's disease (Leprosy) and is sent to the Leper colony on Moloka'i. The same place there was a movie about a few years ago centered around Father Damien. As a long time lover of all things Hawaiian this book did not disappoint. He managed to hit many big events in Hawaiian history and gave some great insights to their culture.
Additionally, it was a page-turner, vibrant, and moving. I found the characters endearing, I was really rooting for them and wanting them to find a way to escape their circumstances. One of the things I really like about Brennert's novels is that they are a lifetime epic. There is no wondering at the end, or the let-down of an epilogue that glosses it all over. With the way that he is able to make me absolutely love the characters, it is essential to me to be able to travel with them until the end. And the end is always satisfying and uplifting.
With almost all of the characters in this book being inflicted by leprosy, Brennert raises a lot of philosophical and spiritual issues about their suffering. I feel like he handled them quite well, although he seemed to lean toward the all-encompassing, pagan attitude, he left room for me to interpret them the way I wanted and find some great lessons in there.
Overall, I was left with a strong desire to learn more about this place and go see the beautiful places he described. I do really love Hawai'i and hope I can go to all of the islands one day.

Positives: Amazing character development and enthralling storyline. Very vivid and beautiful language. Left me completely satisfied and emotionally moved.

Negatives: I am not sure if there are any! Centering on a young girl, it may not be interesting to males, but it was written by one.

Rating: 4.5 - this was a great book

No comments:

Post a Comment